CISS hopes to generate vigorous debate, and discussion, on international strategic issues in the current environment of heightened concerns and worries, and continue its work even when this crisis situation has dissipated and stabilized. It will thus fill the need for the kind of private and independent forum that can contribute to the national discourse. CISS aims to provide its well-considered assessment to the collective pool of research and analysis now available in Pakistan. In pursuing these aims and objectives, the CISS will initiate and develop a credible and serious initiative to address the challenges that now confront Pakistan in regard to its international relation in the political, economic, and social spheres.
The center for international strategic studies has been established with the object of carrying out the following activities:
- Focused research and analysis of major international issues. Patterned on think-tanks abroad, the CISS plans to develop an institutional nucleus on the area of studies of relevance to Pakistan. This will include Pakistan-American issues, regional issue, for example Pakistan-India, Pakistan-Afghanistan and Pakistan-Iran as well as studies of China and Russia from a Pakistani perspective.
- Hold seminars, workshops and conferences on major international issues, for highlighting the problems of strategic dimensions.
- Provide carefully assessed inputs to the national discourse on the basis of the above studies.
- Conduct studies, based on independent research and analysis, for clients who may wish to commission specific work.
- The CISS aims to contribute to:
- Reconnecting Pakistani opinion with the outside world, bridging the gap between the perceptions of the outside world and Pakistan, and promoting better understanding of our policies and actions by the international community.
- Clarify and bring out the broader context of international strategic issues, and help in developing better understanding between Pakistan and world community on matters of strategic importance.
- In addition, the CISS also intends to run academic courses and training programs on international relations.